Studio Programs, Lessons, Benefits
Our introductory program is designed as a prelude to the popular social dances and the teaching methods of the Arthur Murray Dance Studios. It’s designed to fulfill your immediate dance needs while allowing your instructor an opportunity to evaluate your dancing with respect to your future learning.
The Basic Program develops the most important dances you plan to use immediately at a basic level. Emphasis is placed on three important elements of dancing:
- Foot position
- Rhythm and timing
- Leading or following, and with enough variety to keep your learning experience interesting.
The associate Bronze Program will help you acquire freer movement around the floor while expanding your variety, technique, and footwork. Associate Bronze dancers also begin to develop portrayal of dance’s characteristics in the form of styling. This dance program is very popular with those wanting to get on the dance floor quickly.
Full Bronze Program
Full Bronze is the complete Social Dance program taught by the Arthur Murray Dance Studios. It’s designed to develop timing and techniques in all Social Dances selected by the student. The styling will make you look and feel comfortable on the dance floor and strengthen your lead and following regardless of your partner, the music being played or the type of dance floor. Bronze dancers have all the confidence anyone would need on the floor because they have reached the ‘fun point’ in dancing. Dancing techniques at this level will be yours to keep, as you’ll never forget the elements of each dance.
Silver is the dance standard with a high degree of styling. More elaborate movements ensure the Silver dancer will stand out on any dance floor. Continuity of movements makes a couple glide across the dance floor with many natural directional changes. Styling, technique, balance, and control take on an entirely new meaning. This is the beginning of the more professional standard used mainly on the ballroom floor.
Our Gold standard is strictly for the hobby dancer interested in performances, exhibitions or competitions. Its intricate patterns are only to be used when both partners are proficient. Choreography, styling, technique, and showmanship are necessities in this standard. This material is generally not used on a crowded floor. There is a lot of work involved in this program, but you will truly be regarded as an outstanding dancer, able to excel in any dance.
Private Lessons: During your one-on-one private lesson, you will receive personalized instruction that will help you achieve your dancing goals. Your instructor will spend time on technique, styling, and general dance improvement. An up-to-date record of everything you have learned will also be kept as part of your instruction.
Group Instruction: Group lessons are an important addendum to your private instruction. They give you the opportunity to dance with a variety of partners, develop good dance habits and meet other students in the studio. Group lessons are held for different dances and levels.
Practice Sessions: We hold weekly scheduled practice sessions for all our students. You will have fun dancing with the instructors and students in a relaxed and comfortable environment. This gives you the opportunity to practice and try out all the new dance skills that you’ve learned in your private and group lessons.
Dancing is a mild form of aerobic workout and dance lessons make exercise a fun and enjoyable social event any night of the week. Your dance ‘workout’ is beneficial in many ways:
- Olympic athletes often include dance in their training to sharpen control, agility, speed, and balance.
- Dance contributes to good posture and body alignment
- Dance encourages gentle stretching
- Dance increases your flexibility and stamina
- Dance benefits your cardiovascular system as you swing and sway from hip to shoulders
Dancing: A Romantic Alternative
The romantic properties of dance are a secret that all good dancers enjoy:
- Men feel confident when they recognize which dance is being played and have the ability to walk across the dance floor and ask a lady to dance.
- Women will enjoy being asked to dance knowing they have mastered the grace, poise, styling and important following skills of a trained dancer.
- Couples can add the romantic skills that come with the holding, touching and moving to the music that dancing provides.
- Single people can meet new friends as dancing provides a natural icebreaker and becomes a common denominator in any crowd.
- A tailored program at the Arthur Murray Dance Studio is all you need to turn your dancing and romantic life around.
- The Arthur Murray® foundation dance programs are based on a unit of dance instruction, which includes one 40 minutes private dance lesson, one 40 minute group dance lesson, and one practice dance session, at the cost per dance unit of $140. The number of dance units in a foundation dance program will be based on your dance instructor’s recommendation, but routinely between 4 to 12 units of dance instruction to complete the foundation dance program.